Moving into a new house this fall? The process of buying a new home can be lengthy and often confusing. Not to mention, you’re then tasked with all of the physical elements of moving houses. There’s certainly a lot to remember during this busy time! Check out this helpful moving checklist and timeline to keep you on pace to get everything completed before your move:
8 Weeks Before Your Move
- Research companies to check their pricing and credibility. Read customer reviews to get an idea of what other people have experienced.
- Visit your new community to get acquainted
- Give notice to your landlord, if applicable
- Create a moving budget and put aside money for the move
- Make a list of questions to ask potential moving companies (inside delivery, assembly, etc)
One Month Before Your Move
- Reserve your moving date with a moving company if you’re planning to use one!
- Book a Truck Rental if not using a moving company
- Reserve a storage unit, if needed
- Line up family and friends available to help on the day of your move
- Check on homeowners insurance
- Buy boxes, packing tape, and bubble wrap to protect all of your belongings during the move.
- Start cleaning out and packing up closets, the garage, and the attic (non-essential spaces). You may wish to part with excess clutter to make the move transition easier. Holding a garage sale can help you make some extra cash. You can donate unwanted household items to a local Goodwill or thrift store.
- Update your address for any publications, mail, and other important documents you receive.
- Change your address online or at the post office.
- Notify your bank, insurance company, and any subscription services you might have set up of your new address.
Two Weeks Before Your Move
- Make a “survival kit” of essentials that you’ll need for the last week in the old house and the first few days in the new one!
- Label boxes by room and begin packing up most of your things! Clear labeling will make the process much easier. Color coding can also help to save you time in the long run.
- Schedule utility shutoffs for your old house and arrange for re-connections at the new one.
- Make arrangements for your pets during the move: Will they stay with you? How will they be transported? Do they need to be dropped off at a daycare for a few days? Family or friends may be able to help.
One Week Before Your Move
- Clean out the stove and fridge, vacuum, and sweep all floors.
- Do a heavy-duty cleaning of the home
- Pack up items you don’t need at the moment
- Schedule your internet and TV installation at the new house!
Day of Move
- Pack up your “survival kit” with all your essentials.
- Walk through the house one last time to do a final sweep
- Say goodbye to neighbors
- Take photos of the old house for memories
During your upcoming fall move, be sure to remember the points on this helpful moving checklist to make your move run as smoothly as possible!
Are you looking to buy, sell or rent a home?
Originally published on www.coldwellbankerelite.com